2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
6 tablespoons butter (cold)
6 tablespoons shortening
ice water (as needed)
4 eaches apples (medium)
1/2 pomegranate (skin & light colored membrane removed)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
To make crust:
1. Mix flour, sugar and salt together.
2. Cut butter and shortening into flour. Using fingers, rub until pea-size crumbs form.
3. Add just enough water to bring it together.
4. Form into balls about 2” in diameter.
5. Let dough rest in fridge for 20 minutes.
6. Roll out into disks about 6” in diameter and ¼” thick.
To make filling:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
2. In a large bowl, toss together apples, pomegranate seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Place about ¼ cup of the filling in the center of a pie round. Gently fold the edges on the dough over the filling leaving a 1” opening in the middle.
3. Repeat with the rest of the dough and filling.
4. Brush the individual pies with melted butter and bake on the cookie sheet for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.