2 bell peppers (any color except green)
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon garlic purée
2 tablespoons fresh basil (chiffonade)
oil for frying
salt & pepper
1. Dice the eggplant into 1″ x 1″ cubes.
2. Place the eggplant in a mixing bowl and sprinkle with a little salt. Let stand for at least 30 minutes.
3. In a pot, heat cooking oil to 400°F.
4. Rinse the eggplant and pat dry.
5. Working in batches, fry the eggplant until nice and brown.
6. Dice the peppers into 1″ x 1″ pieces.
7. Working in batches, fry the peppers until soft and the edges turn brown.
8. For the dressing, place the vinegar and garlic in a small bowl and slowly whisk in the oil.
9. Combine the eggplant, peppers, bail and dressing and gently fold until combined.
10. Season with salt and pepper.
This salad can be served either warm or chilled.