Ready for Fall? Start with an easy and delicious pot pie! And as a special treat for the kids (or the kid in you), make individual-size pies, using a few 10- to 12-ounce gratin dishes.
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 pound kielbasa sausage (cut into 1/4
1 yellow onion (diced)
1 celery rib (diced)
3 garlic cloves, peeled (sliced)
1 large gold potato (diced & cooked in water until tender)
1 cup canned lentils (drained)
2 cans bay leaves
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon allspice
3 tablespoons flour
2 177s chicken stock
1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
salt & pepper to taste
1 premade pie dough, frozen
1 egg, beaten
1. In a large sauce pan, heat oil and brown sausage.
2. Add onion, celery, bay leaves, allspice and garlic. Cook until tender.
3. Add the red wine and reduce by half.
4. Stir in flour and then add chicken stock.
5. Add the potatoes and lentils. Simmer until a rich, thick sauce is produced.
6. Add the vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
7. Cool the filling.
8. Place the filling in one large 6×6 casserole or pie pan (or 2-3 small ones) and cover with pre-made pie dough.
9. Cut 3 or 4 small slits in the top and brush with a little of the beaten egg.
10. Place the pie(s) on a cookie sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 375 °F for about 30-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.