- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 cups yellow onion (diced)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup garlic (minced)
- 5 pounds beef stew meat (1" x 1")
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 3 bottles Guinness stout
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 quarts beef broth
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 quart water
- 4 potatoes (peeled, Large dice)
- 4 carrots (large diced)
- 2 turnips (peeled, large dice)
- 1/2 cup dijon mustard
- 1/2 prunes (chopped)
- 1/2 cup parsley, fresh chopped
Place half of the oil in a large casserole or soup pot and sauté the onions, thyme, rosemary and garlic. Remove and set aside.
Toss the beef with the flour and half of the salt and pepper and brown the beef in the rest of the olive oil. Remove and set aside.
Add the beer and bring to a simmer scrapping the bottom to remove any brown bits from the beef and vegetables.
Add the onion and beef mixture back to the pot. Add the bay, beef broth, water and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients, except parsley, and gently simmer for 3 hours or until the beef is tender. You may need to add a little water to adjust the consistency.
Garnish with parsley.