Celebrating a southern tradition with a little holiday flair!
2-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1-1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk (room temperature)
2 eaches eggs, large (room temperature)
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 pound cream cheese (softened)
2 butter sticks (1/2 pound) (softened)
4 cups confectioner's sugar
1 cup white chocolate
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with cupcake paper liners.
To Make Cake:
1. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
2. In a large mixing bowl, gently beat together oil, buttermilk, eggs, and food coloring with a handheld electric mixer.
3. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet. Mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
4. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans, about 2/3 filled.
5. Bake in oven for about 20 to 22 minutes, turning the pans once, half way through. Test the cupcakes with a toothpick for doneness.
6. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
To Make Cream Cheese Frosting:
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth.
2. Add the sugar and on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy.
3. Melt chocolate and cool slightly before whisking into frosting mixture.
1. Make a nice mound of icing on top of each cup cake.
2. Crush peppermint candy and top cupcakes with candy pieces. Can also top with chocolate shavings.