6 bone-in beef short ribs
2 yellow onion (medium diced)
2 carrots (medium diced)
4 celery ribs (medium diced)
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 bay leaves
4 thyme sprigs
1/2 cup canola oil
2 177s dry red wine
32 ounces beef broth
1 can diced tomato (14.5 oz can)
1) Season the ribs with salt and pepper and let stand refrigerated overnight.
2) In a heavy bottomed sauté pan heat the oil. Sear the each rib on all sides until brown. Remove the ribs and place in an oven-proof baking dish.
3) In the same pan that you seared the ribs, place the vegetables, garlic, bay leaves and thyme. Cook until the vegetables are nice and brown, making sure to scrape the brown bits of beef off the bottom of the pan. Add the wine and reduce it by half.
4) Add the tomatoes and the beef broth and bring to a simmer. Pour the mixture into the baking dish until the ribs are almost covered.
5) Cover the dish with foil and bake in a 250 degree oven for 2.5 hours or until the bones are loose in the meat. Carefully remove the ribs from the sauce.
6) Pour the sauce into a sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Reduce the sauce by half. (Skim off any excess fat and remove the bay leaves and thyme sprigs during the reduction process.)
Serve on soft polenta or mashed potatoes and spoon some of the sauce over each rib.