With festive potlucks and dinner gatherings right around the corner, this is a great side dish or even as a main one for vegetarians or anyone looking to eat less meat. Infused with vibrantly fruity and nutty flavors, spruce up a meal with this easy to make pilaf!
2 cups wild rice, uncooked
1-1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 cup dried cherries, pitted
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup golden raisins
3/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
3 stalks green onions
1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
7 cups salted water
salt and ground pepper to season
1. Combine salted water and rice in a large pot and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer for 45-60 minutes, or until grains begin to split. Stir occasionally.
3. Remove from heat and strain. Discard liquid and turn rice out onto a platter. Fluff rice with fork.
4. In a small sauce pan, combine dried fruit, vinegar and 1/4 cup water. Bring to simmer and allow to plump. Drain and discard liquid.
5. Add fruit, scallions, nuts and olive oil to rice and lightly combine.
6. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
*Cover leftovers and store max 3-4 days.