1 cup white quinoa, uncooked
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
20 whole cashews (split in half, lengthwise)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 small onion (halved & thinly sliced into half moons)
1 medium russet potato (peeled & diced)
2 medium carrots (peeled & diced)
1/2 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1. Place the quinoa in a large sieve. Run cold water over the quinoa and gently rub the grains with your fingers to thoroughly clean them. Drain the quinoa.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil into a medium saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the cashews and sauté until the cashews are light golden. Stir frequently, about 30 seconds. Remove the cashews from the saucepan and place aside.
3. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of the oil into the medium saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the cumin seeds and onion. Sauté the onion until lightly golden, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the sautéed cashews, potato, carrot, peas, and quinoa. Stir to combine. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add the water, salt, and turmeric. Stir to combine. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
6. Stir and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the saucepan. Simmer undisturbed until the water is completely absorbed. Ready if you insert a spoon through the quinoa, about 13 minutes, and there is no liquid at bottom of the saucepan. The grains will have turned slightly transparent, and the spiral-like germ (the part of the grain that sprouts into a plant) will have separated from the grain and curl around it like a small thread.
7. Turn off the heat. Let rest, covered, for 5 minutes on the warm stove. Keep covered until ready to serve or let cool to room temperature and refrigerate or freeze for later. Before serving, gently fluff the quinoa with a fork to mix the cashews and vegetables. Enjoy!
Note: The cashews add a good flavor and texture, but skip Step 2 if you choose not to include them.
Recipe from Healthy Indian Vegetarian Cooking, Easy Recipes for the Hurry Home Cook by Shubhra Ramineni