1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Groud Black Pepper
1 Tsp Paprika
1/2 Tsp Dried Rosemary
1/2 Tsp Dried Thyme
1/3 Cup Olive Oil
4 Large Lamb Shanks (about 5 lbs)
1 Large Onion, 1/2" sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
10 Garlic Cloves, Peeled
2 Cups Beef Broth or Water
1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
1) Mix paprika, rosemary, thyme, salt and black pepper together in a small bowl and set aside.
2) Heat oil in a heavy large wide pot over medium-high heat. Add shanks to pot. Cook until brown on all sides, about 15 minutes. Transfer shanks to a large bowl. Drain pot until only 2 tablespoons of oil remain.
3) Add onion and bell pepper to the same pot. Sauté over medium heat until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
4) Return shanks to pot. Add seasoning mix and garlic cloves. Cover with foil and then lid.
5) Preheat oven to 350° F. Place pot in oven and braise lamb until tender, about 1-1/2 hours.
6) Remove from oven. Strain liquid into a small pot. Add wine and cook over high heat to boil liquid down to thicken slightly. (Keep lamb shanks warm.)
7) Place 1 lamb shank o each of 4 plates. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce and vegetables over lamb and serve.